ABOUT DEBBIE SHERWOOD
* I’ve been a resident of Orangeville for 39 years
* Have 3 grown adult children and 4 grandchildren born and raised in Orangeville
* Been involved in many sports clubs, school, arts and cultural organizations
* Recently retired as a Certified Municipal Tax Professional after 35 years working for Municipal Government in a Financial Role.
* Worked for Town of Orangeville as Tax Collector for 30 years in the Treasury Department – retired in 2012
* Worked for Municipality of Port Hope as Tax and Revenue Coordinator/Deputy-Treasurer for 5 years – retired in 2018
* Faculty member of Seneca College as a mentor/marker for the Municipal Tax Administration Program.
* Certificate in Financial Accounting I & II – Georgian College
* Expertise in Taxation, Finance, Operating and Capital Budgeting and Tax Sales.
* Member of Ontario Municipal Tax Revenue Association (OMTRA) since 1987, received C.M.T.P. designation in 1999
* Attended and participated in many Council meetings and Sub-committee meetings
* Strong knowledge of Municipal Tax Legislation
* Two time Coordinator of T.O.P.S. Town of Orangeville Promotes Savings Program coordinating the implementation of Town employee’s savings suggestions which accomplished over $450,000 in annual savings to taxpayers.
With 35 years of Municipal Government experience I will bring that knowledge, skill set and financial expertise to make sound decisions that will benefit all the citizens and businesses of the Town of Orangeville. I have seen the running of inside Town Hall, have attended many Council meetings and know where improvements need to be made. Council and Management needs to understand that the bank account belongs to the taxpayers. I’ll attempt to hold the line on tax increases and spend tax dollars wisely.
I want to restore integrity and collaboration and work with my fellow Council members as a team in a productive manner.
Orangeville needs a clear vision and great transparency for our taxpayers. A stronger business community will lead to more local jobs, investments and a better tax base which is
good for everyone. I will advocate for a strategic business plan to have clarity on the Town’s vision, to identify the Town’s goals and priorities.
I promise the citizens of Orangeville that I will do my best to help make our Town the best place when it comes to attracting and retaining business, creating jobs, protecting the environment, engaging with our youth and senior citizens and raising a family.
I am proud and passionate about this Community and am committed to represent and speak on your behalf. I look forward to the opportunity and challenge to represent the citizens and businesses of our great town.
I will be YOUR voice on Council. Please Like my Facebook page www.facebook.com/votefordebbiesherwood/ or follow me on Instagram @votedebbiesherwood
Fiscal Responsibility, Transparency and Accountability