February 13-19 is Nonprofit Appreciation Week in Dufferin County and across the province. There are a number of activities are planned both in person and online to celebrate and thank local nonprofits and your employees for the significant role you play in serving Dufferin County.
Our goal is to raise awareness about of the contributions made by charities and nonprofit organizations in our community, and to celebrate the people who dedicate their careers to helping others. They weave the social fabric that strengthens our communities, improves the quality of life for so many, and represents the values that define our local pride.
A week to recognize the “invisible champions” in our community who work at over 150 local charities and nonprofits in Dufferin County. We are grateful for their dedication, skill and ingenuity in helping people and creating a vibrant community.
Why Recognize the Nonprofit Sector?
- Charities and nonprofits have helped to build and shape the community we know.
- These mission-driven organizations and their staff provide a range of essential services and programs that touch all aspects of society: social service, mental health, community safety, the environment, health, sports and recreation, faith, arts and culture, and more.
- Ontario’s nonprofit sector is a $65 billion economic driver that collectively employs 850,000 people and engages 5.2 million volunteers.
- In Dufferin County, more than 150 charities and nonprofits serve our communities.
- Their skilled work helps transform lives and strengthen our community. Yet staff in the sector tend to work longer hours for lower pay, and with almost no recognition of the impact of their work.
- Nonprofit Appreciation Week gives us a chance to change this and say, “Thank you!”
The Week’s Activities in Dufferin County
Monday, February 13
- Launch of Nonprofit Appreciation Week on the FM101 Morning Show. FM101 will be featuring stories about the nonprofit sector and the week’s activities daily from Feb 13-17.
- Appreciation Yoga – free virtual session for nonprofit staff by Simply Yoga. Pre-register by emailing Sharon Edmonds at [email protected].
Tuesday, February 14
- Appreciation Yoga – free virtual chair yoga session for nonprofit staff by Kimberly Van Ryn from Branching Out Support Services. Join via Zoom at 9:30-10:15 at https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84941894510?pwd=NmdDeGNOc215T0hJbWhUMUpnbk1UUT09.
- Rotary Community Choice Grants – launch of this year’s program by Rotary Club of Orangeville Highlands. Residents are invited to nominate a nonprofit organization to receive one of five $2,000 grants. Public voting begins on March 17. Visit https://rcoh.ca/choicegrants/ to nominate your favourite nonprofit.
Wednesday, February 15
- Corporate and Community Partner Video Day – Across the province, businesses and community partners are invited to post videos with messages of thanks on social media. You can too! Please use the hashtag #NonprofitAppreciationWeek.
Thursday, February 16
- Appreciation Yoga – free in-person session for nonprofit staff by Simply Yoga at Shelburne Physiotherapy Centre, 712 Main St East, at 12:15-1pm. Pre-register by emailing Sharon Edmonds at [email protected].
Friday, February 17
- Thankful Friday – local restaurants and food shops are offering a free treat to anyone who works in the nonprofit sector in Dufferin County. Please show your business card or a note on your organization’s letterhead indicating that you work for a nonprofit or charity.
- Appreciation Yoga – free virtual chair yoga session for nonprofit staff by Kimberly Van Ryn from Branching Out Support Services. Join via Zoom at 12:00 – 12:45pm at https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84941894510?pwd=NmdDeGNOc215T0hJbWhUMUpnbk1UUT09.
· Curry Mantra – free chai and samosa
· The Craft Pizza Bar – free personal New York cheese or Margherita pizza from 12-4pm.
· Le Finis – free coffee and croissant
· Wicked Shortbread – a sweet treat
· The French Press Bistro – free coffee or beverage of choice
· Deja Vu Diner – free breakfast up to a value of $12.99
· Cobs Bread – free cinnamon bun
· Starbucks – Shelburne location
· McDonalds – Shelburne location – free carafe of coffee. Call to order and arrange pick-up time.
· Jelly Cafe – free cookie
· Red Brick Cafe – free coffee
Tag any of the organizing partners on social media and use the hashtag #NonprofitAppreciationWeek so that we can share and amplify your post.
Contact Michele Fisher at [email protected] for more information.
Nonprofit Appreciation Week is being organized locally by: