For 2015 we have adjusted the categories of the Business Excellence Awards to ensure all the businesses in Dufferin have an opportunity to qualify for an award. These exciting new categories will enhance the gala evening by bringing forward the hidden gems in Dufferin County that we all need to celebrate.
- Global Reach – recognizes a business that has expanded its business to include international exports that has allowed the business to grow locally. This business must have products or services exported outside of Canada to at least two other countries. The intention of this award is to celebrate local companies that have global operations and are exporting made in Dufferin products or services.
- Sustainability – recognizes a business or community organization which, mindful of the interconnectedness of all aspects of its surrounding community has demonstrated a long-term view to protecting the local environment, providing a diverse, inclusive and balanced workforce and community and is developing and nurturing sustainable growth which is mindful of resource limits, either within its own business/organization or in the broader community.
- Under 30 – recognizes a new or established entrepreneur under the age of 30 who has seen a business venture from an idea through to a profitable operation. This person should possess powerful skills in each of the following areas: i) Creativity (innovative thinking, product development), ii) Perseverance (survival skills, luck exploitation, and opportunity identification), and iii) Persuasion (team building, management, raising capital, and sales).
- Dufferin Business Citizen of the Year – This award is presented to a business person that has shown leadership, community involvement and is a pioneer and mentor in the Business Community.
- Local Economic Impact – recognizes a business that has had a significant impact on the local economy in one or more of the following ways: i) the substantial and quantifiable creation of new, quality job opportunities; ii) the recent or current expansion of an existing facility, the construction of a new facility, or the substantial investment in capital equipment; iii) the continued education and training of their workforce, with a link leading to higher wages; and iv) active, ongoing support or involvement in a broad range of community economic development activities.
- Employer of the Year – recognizes a business that demonstrates strategic leadership and effective frontline management by establishing, maintaining, and leveraging exceptional workplace culture. This may include, but is not limited to: innovative job design, unique compensation and benefits, a commitment to employee learning and development, employee charitable giving programs, and peer mentorship and training programs. The business should be able to clearly communicate how the culture leads to improved business performance outcomes. (Min. 10 employees)
- Small Business of the Year – recognizes a high-achieving ‘one-to-watch’ business that has seen rapid, innovation-driven growth. The business has between 1 and 10 full-time employees and has demonstrated innovative & proactive leadership within their business or industry, measurable success as a business and/or as an employer and made exceptional contributions to the community.
- Community Service – recognizes a non-profit or charitable organization that has been consistently responsive to community needs, has delivered outstanding service to its beneficiaries, communicates a well-articulated vision and mission to bring about positive change, and has a particular focus on Dufferin County.
To view the criteria that will be used by the judges to determine the winners, please click here.